Monday, February 21, 2005

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson is Dead

I met Dr. Hunter S. Thompson over twenty years ago in the Memorial Hall ballroom at the University of Georgia. We compared notes and decided it would be a good idea that we should not adventure together. We honored our pact until that faithful night at the Woody Creek Tavern outside of Aspen Colorado when intoxicants resulted in gunplay.

I had agreed to remain silent until his big sleep.

A week from Tuesday, March 1, 2005 I will contact the agent and start the book.

The working title ......"Oversleeping for the Dalai Lama"

1 Comments:

Blogger Shamanator said...

I was at that very same event at Memorial Hall -- I still have the ticket stub. I remember him telling an audience member -- a young, male Freshman who asked Thompson what major he should pursue in college -- that there "was no future for you; you should just get it over with now and kill yourself." A rather prescient and telling statement, it turns out. Thompson was drunk, and not especially profound, witty, or insightful that evening. However, I'm sure he could've been, given different circumstances.

January 6, 2012 at 2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home