Monday, October 25, 2004

Deadpan Whimsy

The Discoverers A History of Man's Search to Know his World and Himself by Daniel Boorstin,
copyright 1983, quotes Francis Bacon in The Advancement of Learning (1605), quoting Solomon the king "The glory of God is to conceal a thing, but the glory of the king is to find it out"; Boorstin later quotes Einstein "the eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility."

So I get a call from Clear Channel Communications asking if I would like to provide some radio commentary on Election night. There are two thoughts that come to my mind. One is my oft repeated phrase that I do not make political predictions because I do not like to show everyone how dumb I am. The second is that being a vain egotistical retiring politician who will be lucky if any one recognizes me on the street once I go out of office and I can no longer help them with their legislative needs, I, of course, say I would love to have the listening public here my deep resonate Darth Vader musings.

This development means, I have to stop spending all day and night surfing the internet feeding my attention deficit disorder, mostly Major league baseball and NCAA college football, and actually come up with some classic anecdotes about politics. I found one - these people "qualified" to receive write-in votes fot the offive of President of the United States in Georgia:
Lawson Mitchell Bone of Fayetteville, Tennessee
David C. Byrne of Kennesaw, Georgia
David Cobb of Eureka Humboldt County, California
John Joseph Kennedy of Atlanta
Ralph Nader of Winsted, Connecticut
James Alexander-Pace of St. Banning, California
Michael Peroutka of Marietta, Georgia
Tom Tancredo of Centennial, Colorado

So two different reporters have called in the last few days wanting to know what I know or what I thought about a couple of different political subjects. Maybe I can actually get paid to do this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home